Sadly, we have taken the decision to NOT run a daytime event in 2020.
The evening After Dark event will go ahead as usual – more details will be announced in due course.
This decision was taken for a number of reasons:
Volunteers – the organisation and pre-planning of the event takes a massive amount of man hours and unfortunately, although our volunteers are amazing and do a wonderful job, we do not have enough to share the workload around. We don’t want to overload our volunteers as we want them to enjoy being involved.
Costs – the daytime event costs thousands of pounds to put on. Activities and demos are free and rides are subsidised so the daytime event is run at a loss. It is all paid for from the profits of the After Dark event, and while we definitely want to give back to the community, we are considering if there are better ways to spend funds.
Time – the daytime is always hectic, with the setup starting days before and the turn around to get the site ready for the evening very tight.
Other events – it’s very hard to find a weekend in July that does not clash with other events, although we do try. Next year we inadvertently clash with Ruishton Village Day and the first Taunton Live Pride event, so there is already lots happening in the day.
There is a possibility that we might do something small and low key in the daytime, such as a cleanup day or family games, however the committee need to discuss this in more detail.
We are also discussing whether it would be better to do a summer fayre completely separate to the After Dark event in future years.
Can you help in 2021?
We hope that the daytime event will return in 2021 – but this will only be possible with sufficient volunteers to be part of the following teams. Please contact us on email@example.com if you’d like to be contacted nearer the time about volunteering.
- Arena – organising the displays and games that happen in the central arena, including the running order, booking etc
- Kids entertainment – arranging stalls, activities, demos etc for our younger audience.
- Adult/Teen entertainment – arranging stalls, activities, demos etc for our older audience.
- Food Stalls – organising the food pitches
- Stalls – organising and liaising with all stall holders
- Raffle – contacting local businesses for prizes, arranging raffle prize display, selling tickets etc
- Amenities/Site – layout of field, toilets, lights, electrics, safety, marquees etc
- Advertising/Social Media/Web/Print – updating website, posting to social media, creating posters, press releases etc
2020 Evening Event
The After Dark live music event WILL take place next year. We will be making some changes including increased security and increased prices to cover the extra security. More details will be announced in due course.